Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Cherry Rhubarb Jam from Lori

Well, Andrea, I just followed the recipe on the Sure-Jell package. I like low-sugar jams, but sour cherries and rhubarb are just too tart for me. I used 3 cups of cherries (finely chopped--I used the pulse setting on my blender/processor) and 1 cup finely chopped rhubarb. You put that in the kettle with the sure-jell along with 2 tsp. coconut oil (or butter) because cherry jam foams something awful. bring that to a rolling boil (that can't be stirred down) and then dump in all at once (measure this at the onset) 4 3/4 cups sugar. bring to a roiling boil and boil for exactly one minute. remove from the heat, stir off and on for a couple of minutes so pieces don't float on top (skim foam--but I didn't have any since I added the oil) and put in jam jars. I think it made about 6 jars ( 8 oz. each) 

let me know if you have any more questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment