Thursday, May 31, 2012

Slow Cooker Chicken-Barley Stew


From BabyCenter:
I made this chicken barley stew yesterday. It was a little heavy for summer but I've been sick for almost a week now and it hit the spot!  I will make this again, but I will tweak it a little.  I used boneless skinless breasts and would again. I thought it needed a little more flavor, so I would use 3-4 cups of broth next time. I would also add more seasonings - fresh dill, parsley (I didn't have any in the house this time), and basil maybe (I like all those things in chicken soup so imagine that's what I'd like here too). 
Slow Cooker Chicken-Barley Stew
G8R_mom2B via Betty Crocker
 
3 large carrots, sliced (2 cups)
2 medium stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 bone-in chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb), skin removed
3 cups water
2 cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
¾ cup uncooked medium pearled barley
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
·         In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, place carrots, celery and onion. Place chicken breasts on vegetables. Add remaining ingredients except parsley and thyme.
·          
·         Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours.
·          
·         Remove chicken from cooker; place on cutting board. Remove meat from bones and chop into 1/2- to 1-inch pieces; discard bones.
·          
·         Stir chicken, parsley and thyme into stew. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or until chicken is thoroughly heated.

No comments:

Post a Comment